QUESTIONS TO ASK TO FIND A GOOD COLLEGE FIT
ON THE ACADEMIC ENVIRONMENT
- What are the average ACT or SAT and average GPA of my choices?
- Do I want an academically demanding environment, or would I prefer a school where I can do well without knocking myself out? How much time do students spend on work outside of class?
- Do I need a highly structured academic framework, or can I work with a curriculum that allows for independent projects and has no requirements?
- Do I want a liberal arts or pre-professional curriculum? Is my major offered?
- Do my personal or career interests require specialized facilities?
- What is the average class size? Who teaches them (professors or GA’s?)
- Are faculty members accessible?
- Is there a required first-year program and/or culminating senior experience?
- Do I want to spend part of my college years studying in another country?
ON THE CAMPUS ENVIRONMENT
- Do I want to commute or live on campus?
- Do I want to attend college in a city or a small college town?
- How far away from home do I want to be? In what part of the country?
- What size college appeals to me?
- Small: up to 3,000 students
- Medium: 3,000-7,000 students
- Large: over 7,000 students
- What type of college do I want to attend: 2-year, 4-year, technical/trade program?
- How many students participate in community-based service projects?
- What kinds of activities are students involved in outside of the classroom?
- What percentage of students are involved in athletics or intramural sports?
- Is athletic participation limited to varsity athletes?
- Do I want a strong creative arts program? Are activities in music, theatre, and fine arts limited to students majoring in these areas?
- Are there opportunities for spiritual and religious activities?
- How often do students interact with peers of different racial, ethnic backgrounds, social, political and religious views?
- Does fraternity or sorority life interest me?
- Would I be willing to work part-time while I attend college?
ON THE CAMPUS RESOURCES
- What are the estimated tuition, room and board costs?
- What types of financial aid and academic scholarships are available? Are they renewable each year?
- Will my family be able to support my college costs?
- Who assists students with course selection and career advising? How often does this happen?
- What safety/security services are available, and how often do students use them?
- What health and personal counseling services are available?
- What career planning services are available on campus? Are there internships and who coordinates that program? When can students meet with career services?
- What data is available about graduate and professional school admission and the types of jobs held by alumni, especially recent graduates?
ON THE ADMISSION PROCESS
- When are your application deadlines?
- Is an interview required for admission?
- How do I apply for financial aid and scholarships? When are the deadlines?